Thursday, May 19, 2011

E-Readers and Amazon

I don’t have a ton to add to the fact that Amazon is now selling more e-books than print books, but I am surprised by the rapid growth of the medium.  Obviously the ability to easily carry numerous books and magazines in a single tablet is attractive and convenient, but because I always considered the turning of the pages, the smell of the book, dog-earing, bookmarks, etc  to be part of the special experience of reading, I figured there would be a little more resistance to the turnover. 
Then again, I personally questioned whether or not I’d like using an e-reader and quickly adapted to actually reading books off my IPhone.  I still do buy print books from time to time, but I suppose I'm part of the revolution as well.
Will libraries soon be obsolete in favor of vast online databases? 

1 comment:

  1. as a librarian and crazyperson for ebooks, i'd point out that i've never purchased an ebook. I check them out from my public library. I think electronic resources only secure the library's future as most of them are well outside of what you or i could pay alone for those resources.

    ReplyDelete