Monday, July 16, 2012

What July 16th Means To Me: Braindead

I really don't have much to say, but feel the need to write something because I've been neglecting the blog.  I was going to do a "How You Found My Blog?" because there's been some good ones, but I think I'll save that for later. 

Insomnia has fucking killed me over the course of the past week, and I'm probably averaging only 3-4 hours of sleep a night.  Which has me doing some annoyingly annoying things in the morning like accidentally swallowing my toothpaste (which almost ended a Seinfeld-esque no vomit streak), and leaving my apartment with my lifting gloves on when all I meant to do was grab my sunglasses.  Great. I'm also having trouble writing this blog post because words are ... whats the term...when you can't find the right words?  Anyway, yeah, I'm having trouble with that.

But, as a result, I've familiarized myself with the overnight HBO line-up, and have watched Crazy, Stupid, Love three times in the past week. Maybe even more.  It's a good movie, sue me. But you ever watch a movie so many times that you start finding logic gaps that don't necessarily ruin the movie for you, but at least taint it?  Am I the only asshole who does this?

Anyway, the best scene in the movie, bar none, features all the characters unknowingly meeting in Steve Carell's backyard, only to have all their truths revealed in one epically horrible fight.  But the entire scene hinges on the fact that we believe Ryan Gosling's character has no idea that Steve Carell is the father of the girl he is "in love with (Emma Stone)."  The first few times you watch this movie, you totally buy into the possibility, but the more I think of it, it's absurdly impossible.  Yes, Emma Stone seems entirely too old to be Steve Carell's daughter, but considering she and Gosling are "in love," they probably, ya know, talk about some mildly personal things. She most likely would have mentioned her last name at some point ("Weaver") to the man she's in love with, and the fact that her parents are going through a messy divorce.  This probably would ring a bell with Gosling since he's been spending all his time when Carell, who of course is also named Weaver, and, ta-da, going through a messy divorce.  After hearing the story from Stone, Gosling must have said "you know what's funny ,Fancy Face, I know a guy named Weaver who is going through the exact same thing.  What a coincidence!"  Just sayin' that would probably have been put together at some point.  Maybe it's in the deleted scenes. 


You should, uh, think about gettin' a life, Brett.

Now that that's off my chest, maybe I can get some sleep tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment