Monday, October 8, 2012

Top Five High Score Initials For An Arcade Game

I'm probably dating myself a bit, but do you remember playing a stand-up arcade game, having a great round, and then being prompted to enter three initials to denote your score and save it for posterity? It was a source of pride, right?  Well, not always.  Sure, it was proper to just enter your actual three initials, but of course, when you're ten years old, what fun is that?...which leads me to...

THE TOP FIVE ALTERNATE INITIALS ASSHOLE KIDS LIKE ME WOULD TYPE ON A HIGH SCORE LIST FOR AN ARCADE GAME.

5) "AAA"

Because sometimes you are just lazy and don't care.  There were no QWERTY keyboards on "Pacman" or "PunchOut," so who really had the time to toggle through the letters until you found the ones that matched your initials?  So, often times, we'd just skip this entirely and quickly pump a few more quarters into the machine to start again.  Plus, I wanna say that AAA was probably the most popular initial set on all arcade games, which means there were lots of lazy kids in the United States, or a ton of people named Adam Abraham Adelman.


4)


When you're ten...let's see...You can't drive, you're too young to drink and do drugs, you live in the suburbs, you're killing time till your showing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles starts, and your life really isn't all too bad...so... you rebel by typing "FUK" into the high score list.  Yeah, that'll show them.

3)


When I was a young teen, my orthodontist had an arcade version of Asteroids, and if I recall correctly, Donald Ira Kramer was really good at it.

2)


This one was always typed while constantly looking over both shoulders to make sure no one was watching.  Then, once inputted, you ran away from the machine to grab a friend, and waited, not so patiently (Dude, just wait! just wait! It's coming.) for the high score list to re-appear so you can all laugh and pat each other on the back for a job well done.  Then, maybe, wait for a stranger to use the machine so they could notice your comic genius too?  Lulz ahoy. 

1)


Never fails.  Always and forever.  The funniest and/or saddest part about the above is that it's a screengrab from a Youtube video for Big Sean's Dance (Ass).  If we have a song like that, shouldn't ASS: THE MOVIE, as made famous by Mike Judge's "Idiocracy" be close behind (pun!)  Either way, still my favorite name to put on a high score list, and I'm sure if I came across a Pacman machine today, I'd do my best to avoid those colorful ghosts just so I could type "ASS" into the high score list one more time.  Like a cowboy riding into the sunset.

Have a good Monday. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, FUK is the airport code for Fukuoka, Japan. ;)

      Delete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Arcade toronto

    ReplyDelete